Saturday, August 07, 2004

RISE

What is wrong with RISE? It's extremely difficult to tell. I keep getting this feeling that RISE is headed for some really bad place. And I think I've thought it through.

Apathy. A heck care attitude. That's probably the biggest problem. People just don't care.

Before i continue, I reiterate: This comment is entirely personal and should not be taken to have the slightest official implications.

Late for rehearsal? Never mind, I've got an excuse, I can just stroll in loudly, complain that there isn't a stand/part/chair, let the door bang shut, interrupt the rehearsal for something about as important as peanuts.

Wrong entry? Who cares? I can go on entering late/out of tune/on the wrong note cos there are another 10 people playing the right thing. Or an approximation. Besides the 1sts/2nds/violas/cellos/basses are screwing up so badly that mr sze won't notice me.

Violin needs repair? Soundpost dropped? Perhaps the cello needs tuning in the middle of the rehearsal? I don't really give a damn. Since I can't project, mr sze can't hear my mistakes. Even better. I can't tune in the middle of the rehearsal, so I'll just stone there.

I can't stand these attitudes. They suggest that anyone who cares can just **** off and stick his head into the nearest dustbin. Worst of all, some people with these attitudes laugh at people who don't. Who care. And that's really discouraging.

Ok let me admit this. When it comes to doing stuff for my house (moor), I always happen to have a rehearsal for some obscure concert happening 2 weeks from now. But it is against my principles to actively discourage people from participating. From bothering. I usually make it a point to smile sheepishly and highlight my general apathy towards the house vs. the other's enthu-ness. And that makes people care about their house.

Perhaps I've been too nice on previous occasions. Perhaps some people read my comments and think "aha I agree but I bet he's not referring to me". You know, sometimes I might be? So here's the list.

Some violists (especially Nicholas): notable for late entries. "quite gone" is zhaohan's assessment of Nicholas. In my view you don't care about being among the worst violists the world has ever seen. Nicholas I believe you've been caught not watching/entering by mr sze many times before. But do you listen? no. Do you care? unlikely. zenn please work at it. Life isn't a bed of roses.

Violinists might do well to improve their attitude. Shawn, maybe you're not as stuck-up as Junhong (yes Junhong you can be pretty pissing at times even though you are extremely pro), watch it. Being pro doesn't entitle you to arrogance. Look at Adriel.

Back desk second violinists should wake up. Really if you don't give a fig about making music then I suggest you go and join a uniform group. RISE is really undermined through the efforts of people like some of you. If my comment on you is outdated and you really feel you've improved, show it.

Cellists. Most of you don't give a fig either, and would rather be flying kites at Marina. Edmund and Matthew - you are neither competent nor do you contribute much. If you really want to be a contributing member of RISE you should wake up and start paying attention to lessons with your teachers, and during rehearsals. Same applies for some sec 3s. Sec 2s are generally fine, but could be better. Jonathan Muk I have no idea what you're trying to do. I have no doubts about your ability to lead the ensemble, but musically speaking you have much unrealised potential, which doesn't mean anything.

Bassists are painful.

When I started, we had 'sectionals' from Jan to Feb '02. Basically what I had to do was to learn the bass on my own, since mr sze only had the time to give me about 3 lessons (no more than that) and qing xiang didn't know his stuff that well either (sorry qx, but that's the whole truth). I went for thirteen lessons paying the full price for every one of them. And I bought my bass in April. During rehearsals since I "couldn't play" I sat around feeling neglected. This was pretty much the situation until perhaps May. Perhaps very few people remember that. That I was sitting in the back of the LAR with the air-con not working, with the weird new smells of sweat-soaked cellos and totally new people, in a completely new school, all the adjustments, everything.

You guys have it easy. No instrument, who cares? School pays for your lessons, which don't achieve anything anyway. Kuangnan and Yuze, since you don't practise between lessons, you're always back at square one at the next lesson.

Bassists are almost expected to be substandard. This is WRONG. Totally, heinously wrong. It's far better to aim high and miss rather than to aim low and hit. Get an instrument. A teacher. Some lessons. Go and audition for TO. Take exams. Be disciplined about your practice. Either love your instrument passionately, or hate it equally passionately (i hate it). Know it as well as you know your maths or science. Find pieces you like, and play them. Above all, "practise and improve" is what casteels told me in my YO audition. That applies to everyone.

I have this feeling that no one will bother about reading this anyway. Or think about it. I just felt I had to let go. These are observations I've gathered in rehearsals past. Problems like these will only become more acute in coming rehearsals. Musicians need to have discipline. Zeal. Passion. Fire. Artistic talent. Pride in their craft (NOT arrogance). and skill. Respect. Sensitivity.

Labels: ,

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Rayner,
Let me quote what you have written and express my views. I hope you take this seriously.

1. "What is wrong with RISE? It's extremely difficult to tell. I keep getting this feeling that RISE is headed for some really bad place. And I think I've thought it through."

If you think so negativly about RISE, then you should leave and join another CCA which is 'better' for you.

2. "I can't stand these attitudes. They suggest that anyone who cares can just **** off and stick his head into the nearest dustbin."

It's not very nice of you to be making such nasty remarks.

3. "Some violists (especially Nicholas): notable for late entries. "quite gone" is zhaohan's assessment of Nicholas. In my view you don't care about being among the worst violists the world has ever seen."

You should not single out people like Nicholas, or make extreme remarks like "the worst violists the world has ever seen".

4. "Shawn, maybe you're not as stuck-up as Junhong (yes Junhong you can be pretty pissing at times even though you are extremely pro), watch it. Being pro doesn't entitle you to arrogance. Look at Adriel."

Whether Shawn is arrogant or not, it does not matter, because in my opinion, you are very sensitive. You get angry even over words like "fartist". I've seen you using your double bass bow to hit another RISE member just because he called you a fartist (I've been observing you since the beginning of this year).

5. "I have this feeling that no one will bother about reading this anyway. Or think about it. I just felt I had to let go. These are observations I've gathered in rehearsals past."

That's where you're wrong. Also, from what I have observed about you, I feel you should improve on your petty character.

9/09/2004 1:17 am  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home