Tuesday, October 30, 2007

sth funny + thoughts on GP

lol this is rather funny.

my brother in america called (technically half-bro, but yeah, very long story). probably wanted to wish dad a happy birthday or something (that was a couple of days ago). my dad's out at NTUC - still traipsing about cos of the rain i guess - and i thought he called. so this is how it went

me: "hello papa?"
(long silence on the other side) and then "hello?"
me: "hello?" - i'm still thinking its my dad, cos
a) i'm bad at voice recognition,
b) their voices are very similar - similar to mine too, plus some age,
and c) my dad lags on the phone cos he can't hear too well
(other side): hello is this dad?

- realisation 1: people usually don't try to call themselves up at home if they're out -

- realisation 2: its adrian, not papa. whoops! -

now i was trying to not laugh... so he just asked if i was in the middle of A levels (yeah first paper tmrw, etc.) good luck, are you prepared, the usual, i'll call back later. yup. amusing & embarrassing. lol

when i tell me mom she'll gag and laugh. and i'll make myself an irish coffee with extra whiskey. oh damn i can't its GP tmrw. damn damn damn.

so now i'm waiting for the next humiliation to wipe out the memory of this one. i just hope my next humiliation will not be GP tmrw -.-

so for GP:
topics that i'm desperately hoping for
international relations (myanmar, sudan, zimbabwe, iraq, russia, france, the US & all kinds of other screwed up places, basket cases and failed states)
globalisation (200 million people live outside their country of birth, tariffs average 3.3%, anti-globalisation protesters in seattle WTO ministerial conference 1999, make up quotes from krugman, norberg, stiglitz etc. that sort of thing)
global warming/climate change/environment (ecological footprint 3.5 earths, US contributes 22% of the world's CO2 emissions but china is rising with 18%, by 2100 temperatures will be 5-6 deg higher under business-as-usual models etc.) <- if global warming comes out for compre (i think its pretty likely, like 20% chance mebbe) i'm home and dry
science vs. religion (just gimme a good question plz i can slam religion but then also talk about all the good things its done for lots of pple)

- dear cambridge setters
plz plz plz dun screw me over in GP
its damn demoralising
plz give me nice essay questions
so i can crap on about them
and have enough points to crap about
and use long words like
gratuitous and predicate
and plz give me a nice compre
that i can understand and respond to
not some guailan thing like matriarchy in singapore
cos i know shit about family issues
and i'll start making up channel 8 dramas on random things just for the AQ
plz plz plz dun screw me over i need an A for GP 
(among other things)
for PSC to look my way
so that i can go someplace nice and cool
e.g. london or chicago or NYC or princeton
to fritter away my uni years in peaceful contentment
kthxbye
-

oh yeah another gratifying thought. couple of days ago harvard sent me an email invite to apply to them, though its kind of late now since i've alr given all the teachers the recommendation envelopes... but still, its gratifying that they deigned to look my way =) anyway cool. feels good.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home