Friday, September 05, 2008

life now

Ok life's a pretty relaxing prospect. As I've said, nothing much to do and all the time to do it. Sodded my brains onĀ Pet Sounds by the Beach Boys. Well, most Beach Boys tracks are an embodiment of the beach bum lifestyle (cf Kokomo, Catch a Wave, Surfer Girl...) but Pet Sounds is something other. It's youth, and a happy careless gushing torrent of good feeling and love that can't be fulfilled because so much of it lies in the future. The instrumentation is extremely effective everywhere - I've never found music where a drumset was that indispensable - and God Only Knows has possibly one of the best melodies ever in pop music. And at the same time there's a thread of melancholy running through it. All of this suits my mood perfectly.

Otherwise... I can't help but feel that David's facebook profile is finely calculated to kill me with envy. Damn I can't wait to be at Yale!

I had my first guard duty (as guard 2IC) on wed night - quite an exciting night, actually. A Landrover (with signal set antenna mounted on) tore through a tentage and wrecked the roof, and a 5-tonner flattened our sentry platform haha. Well luckily the shit didn't flow to me (I'm only 2IC phew) but the security warrant officer was hopping mad, berating everyone around the place. Crikey.

1/4 done with Gravity's Rainbow now. It's going to be a hard slog...

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home