Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Larkin & Betjeman

As you can tell, I'm fuck-bored. So here are two poems, one slightly more serious and the other, wickedly funny. Best read out.

Best Society
When I was a child, I thought,
Casually, that solitude
Never needed to be sought.
Something everybody had,
Like nakedness, it lay at hand,
Not specially right or specially wrong,
A plentiful and obvious thing
Not at all hard to understand.

Then, after twenty, it became
At once more difficult to get
And more desired - though all the same
More undesirable; for what
You are alone has, to achieve
The rank of fact, to be expressed
In terms of others, or it's just
A compensating make-believe.

Much better stay in company!
To love you must have someone else,
Giving requires a legatee,
Good neighbours need whole parishfuls
Of folk to do it on - in short,
Our virtues are all social; if,
Deprived of solitude, you chafe,
It's clear you're not the virtuous sort.

Viciously, then, I lock my door.
The gas-fire breathes. The wind outside
Ushers in evening rain. Once more
Uncontradicting solitude
Supports me on its giant palm;
And like a sea-anemone
Or simple snail, there cautiously
Unfolds, emerges, what I am.
- Philip Larkin
-----

The Olympic Girl
The sort of girl I like to see
Smiles down from her great height at me.
She stands in strong, athletic pose
And wrinkles her retroussé nose.
Is it distaste that makes her frown,
So furious and freckled, down
On an unhealthy worm like me?
Or am I what she likes to see?
I do not know, though much I care,
xxxxxxxx.....would I were
(Forgive me, shade of Rupert Brooke)
An object fit to claim her look.
Oh! would I were her racket press'd
With hard excitement to her breast
And swished into the sunlit air
Arm-high above her tousled hair,
And banged against the bounding ball
"Oh! Plung!" my tauten'd strings would call,
"Oh! Plung! my darling, break my strings
For you I will do brilliant things."
And when the match is over, I
Would flop beside you, hear you sigh;
And then with what supreme caress,
You'd tuck me up into my press.
Fair tigress of the tennis courts,
So short in sleeve and strong in shorts,
Little, alas, to you I mean,
For I am bald and old and green.
- John Betjeman

Labels:

2 Comments:

Blogger homegirl said...

hey rayner! haha that second poem is funny :P i passed by new haven on my way to my college, and it looks like a very nice place. like the kinda school atmosphere that would make one feel scholarly and knowledgeable haha.

good luck with work x)

8/26/2008 1:19 pm  
Blogger Unknown said...

haha thx! yeah i loved it when i heard it read out on the bbc. w00t yeah i'm just drearily waiting for 2 more years... anyhow have fun at wesleyan!

8/26/2008 9:35 pm  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home