Wednesday, January 21, 2009

something totally unexpected

I was at my desk, kinda stoning, the usual 9-o'clock-ish feeling of "now I've turned on the comp and watered the damn plants, what next?" setting in, and I'd taken out my Salman Rushdie - Fury - to read.

It's not a book that appeals to me greatly, and I'd had trouble with it the last two times I tried reading past the first chapter. It bores the shit out of me, frankly. I'd just left it on my desk in anticipation of lotsa free time to kill. 

So this staff officer, a captain from HQ CBRE was setting up for some meeting in the discussion room in my office, and he popped out and was about to ask me something (wholly unimportant) when he caught sight of that thing.

"You read Rushdie?" "Actually, sir, this's the first book of his I'm reading." "Hrm... (picks it up and looks at the blurbs) You know about him right?" "Erm... the Satanic Verses?" "No, that he's a twat."

That possibly made my day.

Labels:

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hmm. I'm no lit student, but I find it curious that the authors whom you dislike are precisely those who make it a point to have their works and humour based on a relationship with language.

1/22/2009 1:20 pm  
Blogger Unknown said...

maybe it's unfair that i judge salman rushdie on one not-particularly-good chapter of a book.

but zh, all authors make it a point to base their work and humour on a relationship with language. dun get your point.

you should come say hi to my bookcase one day.

1/23/2009 8:49 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Eh, no need to get defensive, passive-aggressive and whatnot. I don't really like him either but I do find some of his works charming. In any case I wasn't griping about your dislike for him.

As regards what you have said about *all* authors, I concede about 'work' but humour maybe not so much.

What I meant, perhaps, was that you dislike authors who delight in flowery or grandiloquent language.

Merely an observation.

1/24/2009 7:57 pm  
Blogger Unknown said...

aka verbal wanking.

1/24/2009 11:56 pm  
Blogger a adhiyatma said...

nothing inherently bad about that.

1/25/2009 10:49 am  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home