Sunday, November 25, 2007

catch-22/lit ppp

There is this amazing thing about Catch-22. It's somehow both a celebration and a damning denunciation of modern collective insanity. I love this part - it kind of sums up my thoughts about this God dude, when I'm in a good mood:
[Yossarian] "I thought you didn't believe in God."
[Lieutenant Scheisskopf's wife] "I don't," she sobbed, bursting violently into tears. "But the God I don't believe in is a good God, a just God, a merciful God. He's not the mean and stupid God you make Him out to be."
When I'm in a bad mood I think there's got to be a benevolent but dangerously incompetent God up there, if only to explain how I'm making a complete pig's ear out of my life. I guess some people out there probably think that I'm angsting over nothing - trust me, still waters run very, very deep.

The thing about God - in the Christian conception, at least - is that He's not some on-command miracle worker like a bloke manning a call centre in the 11th dimension or something. You don't know if there's no one on the other side, or he's just daoing you to test your faith (I have none), or this is part of The Big Plan for you. The fascinating - and alarming - thing about believers is that they can base so much belief on the scrappiest bits of evidence.

Faith? Bollocks. Reality hurts, but it's there, it's tangible, it's something you can get a hold on, as long as you keep your expectations down. Remember life's a piece of shit anyway. Live with it.

-----

Tomorrow's the 2nd last paper, Lit, paper 4. I'm fine with Lit I guess... After all when messrs P and B mark our scripts the bell curve is completely fucked - this is RJC humanz, we're supposed to be clustered on the more competent end of the spectrum (right?) - and besides i've never gotten less than a B for Lit, amazingly, and hell, prelims were good, so no worries, right? Just reassuring myself there; just hoping everything will turn out decent. Christ I absolutely loathe Dr Faustus.

Now for a PPP
- dear examiners
plz give me a good unseen to respond to
so i can show what i've got
it isn't much, but it's something
plzplz give me a straightforward comparison question
something that i can sink my teeth in
i need to prove myself
preferably something that i've prepared
plz don't screw me over on faustus
it's sad enough as it is already
just give me a chance to regurgitate mr B's notes
i really, really need all the A's i can get
make this an A i can count on plzplzplz
kthxbye
-

My expectations are obscenely high lah. I'm hoping for top grades on everything - that's A for GP, 4 A's for the H2s and a distinction for H3. Barring that at least an A for GP, AAAB for the H2s and at least a H3 merit. It's just a touch better than what I pulled off for the prelims... I can - I must; I'd better - pull it off again. I'll be a nervous wreck till March; if things screw up I'll be a nervous wreck for ever.

May the bell curve ring for me!

Give me A's, or else I die. - I've been (mis)quoting THT all week.

Labels: ,

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

The importance of A-Levels is overrated. You shouldn't worry too much about it. You'll get what you want in March. =) =) =)

Spend some time playing CIII - when are you free for me to pass it to you? I'll be back in Singapore from 3rd to maybe 7th/8th. Are you familiar with CD image? (If not, I need to burn the image onto another CD)

Just started playing Caesar IV. The interface is bad! Especially the building placement function... The game design is bad...

Good luck with the rest of your papers.

- Ming =)

11/25/2007 2:01 pm  
Blogger Unknown said...

lollll... if i screw a levels then what happens?

yah i think i can work out how to xfer the cd image... you have it alr? woah thats fast. uhh whens prom night? if you're going i can get it then. if not, whenever you're free lah... how much do i owe you? =D

11/25/2007 3:25 pm  
Blogger a adhiyatma said...

hey living in a barrel ain't so bad.

adam

lol i heard of this posted on a facebook group 'I'm getting my PhD in philosophy next month. I think it'll look good hanging in my taxi.'

11/26/2007 12:13 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's on December 4. I pass it to you then.

(It costs nothing - but I wouldn't mind if you treat me to food. Kidding. Haha) =)

- Ming

11/26/2007 4:32 pm  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home