Sunday, February 10, 2008

spiritual

I'm going a bit spiritual. Or soft in the head. I know I'm inclined to think that way on occasion.

It probably started with getting lost at 3am on my way back from the latrine on the last day of field camp. I know I prayed quite a bit; it's ironic how atheists profess their disbelief and then when push comes to shove they think "aiyah try my luck lah". I don't know if it was luck or something more, but I do know that after nearly half an hour of stumbling round in the dark, the first groundsheet I came to was my own. (the path below is a highly simplified version of the actual path I took, which would look like an earthworm having an orgasm.)

Ok you might say it was miraculous. Or you might (like the atheist part of me) point out that I was sleeping directly at the corner of the campsite anyway, so if I came across any groundsheet chances are it'd have been mine. Or you could point out that I was dead close to missing the campsite altogether, and wandering off deep into the plantation.



All I know is that at points I couldn't see anything, not even the light from our main campsite; I only had a dim torch which worked only half the time; and I heard nothing but bullfrogs and the occasional rat. And I prayed and somehow managed to get back without too much difficulty. This kind of thing does shake you a bit.

And well, let's just say that the past few months have been a really trying period for me personally, a period that I could not have survived without the support and reassurance of all those fantastic friends I have. They have a crazy diversity of opinion, they wouldn't all agree, not all of them even know all the rest, but it's been a great comfort to have them around. You might say it's luck. Or you might say it's something other; something only God might do.

-----

Hell's bells. Was on msn talking to a good friend (jon lee) on the night of my bookout; he sort of pointed me in the Catholic way of things... being in the spiritual frame of mind I was rather more receptive than usual, and it does make sense somehow. I'm now praying more than the recommended daily dosage for an atheist.

Converting, I guess, will be a long time off - I'm not fully convinced of the existence of God, not yet anyway; and if it happens I do want my soul to be, if not white, at least a whiter shade of pale.

And you guys out there can forget about trying to rush me. I'll jump my own leap of faith when I'm ready. If it ever happens I'll prob turn RC though. I really do appreciate the fact that none of my catholic friends have tried to convert me.

Labels:

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ah that's cos we're only half convinced ourselves. Roman Catholics ftw.

adam

2/11/2008 7:32 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

(A bit late - was away)

Why RC but not something else? Maybe others would fit you better?

2/12/2008 1:30 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That's like asking the hangman for a size 40 noose because the 38 is a little tight.

adam

2/14/2008 1:42 pm  
Blogger Unknown said...

lol that's exactly why it fits me. cos they're usually only half convinced.

although i have met some catholics who really believe in it. nothing but respect for them.

2/15/2008 11:27 pm  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home