Saturday, January 24, 2009

gosh

Today was happening. Tumbled back home from duty in the morning. As uneventful as they come.

Got to adam road for the lunch with the rest of us ex-YO fogeys - ike rachel shaggy ruolin jeremy remus alan & me - talked a lot of crap, and crashed YO after that. As always it was nice to be back, especially cos there were so many of us. Old friends and those nostalgic corridors and all that coming back together again. Dare I wish we were young again and pelting each other (and mrs wong) on the CCAB astroturf with waterbombs?

But things have changed; realities of life are being played out; people grow alternately closer and more distant, but more the latter, and sometimes meeting up is only an exercise in futility, hanging on to weaker and fainter shreds of what used to be, in feeble defiance of what is.

(When I write my Great Postcolonial Novel that sentence will be in it, somewhere.)

And I wish I could do something more for YO. It's not what it used to be; in fact that's an understatement. There's so much raw potential and energy that isn't being channelled usefully. The phrases are unsubtle, unpolished, directionless... notes barely in tune (string sections' intonation more akin to a dart board)... tempo horribly shaky... dynamics ignored. There's a lot to work on before March. And eroica is a monumental piece that doesn't deserve to be treated lightly.

Anyway after the rhsl I hopped onto a bus to Bedok (66) for the first time and fell asleep as soon as I got a seat. A bit of a panic moment when I was jolted awake by some guy who accidentally poked me, and saw lots of people randomly crossing the road, haphazard storefronts and colourful shop signs in Tamil and semigrammatical English, lots of shophouses and trash lying about (plastic bags and the like), and then I realised I was on Serangoon Road. Nothing out of the ordinary there, just not a side of Singapore I often see.

Got a call at Ubi while I was still on the bus; Sabby was at the airport. That was completely unexpected, but it saw me end the day at the airport. Cool stuff.

All that really made for a great day today.

Labels: ,

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I wish I could do something more for YO too D: actually I've been thinking about that for some time - fuelled of course by going back to play, taking a (literal) backseat and watching them (albeit it being the first few rhsls of the season)

anyway, with your taking rhsls thing and um more things I will think up, the 'wish I could' will hopefully be concrete-ised :D and yeah March will be good..

hehehe anyway sorry for suddenly popping up from never commenting but HELLO RAYNER!!! & SEE YOU AT OMM.. where you might be accosted if I have more YO-related things on my mind hahaha. Think I'm stuck in the generation between an ex-YO fogey and the current YO bunch, haha.

okay, shall stop going on about nothing much. CIAO! x

1/28/2009 4:01 pm  
Blogger Unknown said...

=D HELLO WENYI! it's ok, everyone goes through that stage where you're not quite ex-YO but not quite YO either. it's called getting old.

though yes, i think YO could be a lot better if the kiddies figured out what the hell they should be doing in an orchestra haha.

yup see you! xD

1/30/2009 10:19 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

"fuelled of course by going back to play, taking a (literal) backseat and watching them"

ho hum that was how i was feeling for about a year xD being the oldest string player around wasn't as enjoyable as i imagined oops.

erm eh bo jio... dunno where all the dragons (my year ppl) went off too lor the only YO person i've seen a significant amount of is Glen thanks to a quartet -.- but then again i've been sort of ponning YO (i still dunno if i'm in or out of alumnus... talk about ambiguity getting more ambiguous)

oh yea and i'm alive. hi. sorry to keep you lil ones in suspense(?)

2/17/2009 9:27 pm  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home