Tuesday, May 26, 2009

reading Ulysses

I've been reading Ulysses at a fairly fast pace, 250 pages in the last 2 days. I'm somewhere in the middle of the 8th episode (if I'm not wrong), and very, very lost. I have no idea if there's a single narrative voice or if it shifts from character to character or whether Joyce is just trying to screw all of us over.

I need to seriously re-read it, slowly, after I'm done. And before that I probably need to read the Odyssey and Hamlet (there seem to be quite a few Hamlet references, which seem like nonsense). I also need a dictionary around while I'm reading it. What's jejune? Or crozier

I know how to drive myself mad. I also know enough to avoid it. If I wanted to go mad, I would read Ulysses while listening to Bartok's string quartets.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home