Thursday, May 22, 2008

back home/dream

Well I reported for my new posting at the engineers training institute on Tuesday. They took a ridiculously long time to do their admin - particulars etc. - but the food was pretty good by SAF standards and our commanders aren't too bad. Lightly sarcastic and threateningly funny, which is about as good as it gets. One of our platoon commanders went round wishing people happy birthday O.o pretty good of him. Discipline and footdrill standards seem (relatively) high though -.- and the course is 11 weeks long. Still, we'll be sergeants before almost everyone else I think. Kinda cool in a sense - quoting lip: "ahh the joys of a meaningless egoboost". It also means another pay rise, which is always good and prevents me from starving to death from lack of brain-food.  

Hrmph. I'd still prefer my rank sitting pretty on my shoulders rather than moping about on the sleeves though, but such is life. (For those of you who didn't get that - shoulder = officer = pro; sleeve = sergeant = noob. I = noob)

Oh interesting: the word sergeant comes from the Latin serviens 'one who serves' via French sergent. Which should give you some idea of what I'll be - first among equals of the saikang warriors. Bloody impressive isn't it?

-----

Anyway most pertinently they gave us 3 days off - wed-fri - thank goodness. So I burnt yesterday going to RJC with Daniel Ong/pooch/paniel and saying hi to all the teachers I knew and all my happy madcap juniors who were dying cos of GP CTs (fond memories). Being the ex-chairman of interact club pooch knows half the school by name... damn irritating haha. Errr... what else? MRTed off to gramophone at cathay and got myself some simon and garfunkel and a tang - i mean t'ang ^^ - quartet cd of schulhoff and haas quartets while my mom got a platters compilation. Platters... sounds like some finger-food collection if you know what I mean, but I wisely didn't comment in case she chose to withdraw my access to the $60 of gramophone vouchers haha. It's some ancient band, where ancient means pre-Beatles.

I miss school, and the care-free-ness of the whole thing, and the energy and enjoyment we all shared - teachers AND students, which is extremely unusual. RJC's changed a lot; the corridor to the staff room has been changed to a "staff access only" room which looks like some kinda lounge, and the mini-canteen's become "hodge lodge", some exclusive cafe thingy as far as I can tell (closed both times I've been to the school since last year). Feels strange to not have the mini-canteen; it was humanz home. It's like RJC's taken on a subtly different flavour, maybe a sour aftertaste that wasn't there before. Still it was nice to be back and talk to Mr Teo my maths ex-tutor and avoid my chinese teacher lol and say hi to Mrs Toh (GP) who unfortunately had to rush off. Bad day to visit, it being GP CTs. Fond memories nevertheless.

-----

Oh yes in other news, I've been offered the Econs & Law double major at NUS. Pity, this... in normal circumstances I'd be ecstatic; now, like Adam, I'm going to have to bastard them and reject it.

-----

Slept from 7:30pm to 7:30am with a couple of breaks and a few dreams; dreamt of lots of friends and woke up with the first verse of a beatles song on my mind - for me that counts as a pretty darn good sleep!

From Me to You
If there's anything that you want
If there's anything I can do
Just call on me, and I'll send it along
With love, from me, to you.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home