Sunday, June 15, 2008

ha'p'orth of thoughts

I'm bored with my life. It kinda sucks. (I know, this is bound to provoke a kind of you think your life sucks? competition amongst all of you out there, but still...) NS is a mindless tedium, mostly, and I only really live for weekend bookouts and going out with friends. Yup I've gone slightly hedonistic but I guess that's what happens when you're driven to the brink; that's what NS inevitably does to you.

On love - we're all around that point in life when we're inexorably, inexplicably buffeted by love, and when rejection comes it feels like the carpet's been pulled from under your feet. I've seen lots of friends go basket-case over this. I'd hate to admit it, but I've gone basket-case over this. -.- That's almost saying too much already. But yeah, it happens, life goes on... I'm trying my best to stick to caritas for now, till I get the mess in my life sorted, which may be never. Love is dangerous - especially so for me; caritas is a nice wholesome feeling, a kind of universal self-sacrificial fellowship-friendship-humanism that encompasses all, and is all. It's hard to be charitable sometimes, but I try my best.

Hell, Mr Purvis had this killer cheem quote about love... which I can't for the life of me remember, fuck! Back in J1 when he said it I just inwardly went ^^ yah cheem lit shit, but it now faintly seems to make sense. Something like there is no such thing as love, only loves, and their... what? something. differences? By whom? Can't dig it out from my memory now. Help me, anyone?

Another quote, this one for Zhaohan now:
"Love [agape] is patient; love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. It is not rude, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres."
1 Corinthians 13:4–7 (NIV)
I know, I know, me quoting the Bible ranks pretty highly on the improbability charts, but there's lots of wisdom in there as long as you take it right, I guess. So take heart, pal. And for fuckssake dig yourself out of that mess.

Labels:

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I remember him mentioning that at our h3 lecture. I think he gives everyone his generic oh god I'm a lit teacher look at how angsty I am I grew up on only one booooook and that was the Bible and now I hate everybody! speech.

I think it was something vaguely about 'only loves, and the differences between them' but i can't remember the exact wording.

adam

6/16/2008 9:37 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Zz rayna I just read your recent posts and have concluded that you have twice my IQ -_-.

PECK

6/18/2008 8:06 pm  
Blogger homegirl said...

haha omg I think I will never forget his quotes. Or at least not for a long time to come. "there is no such thing as love, there are only loves and the differences between them". Not sure about exact phrasing but the message was that. Philip Larkin, I think?

:P in j1 I was all wow that is so profound and pretty and all but now I'm like yeah love is complicated, deal with it when you have to, whatevs. :P

6/19/2008 10:40 pm  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home