Friday, July 04, 2008

My top 15 beatles songs

Wow ok this is interesting. At the urging of Zhaohan, I'm supposed to think up my top 15 Beatles songs. Just when I'm listening to Simon & Garfunkel -.- And this will sure prove embarrassing, I hardly know 15. Well fuck that, since I've nothing better to do, just off the top of my head, in no particular order, here goes:

1. Hey Jude. This was the song that kicked my head in and started my own Beatlemania. It made me go wow; still does. It reminds me in my darkest moments that there's still hope and love in the world. "For well you know that it's a fool/ Who plays it cool by making his world a little colder" is quite possibly my favourite line, ever. And I love the 4-minute refrain & fadeoff; it's mesmerizing. It's a great end to an anthem of life.

2. With A Little Help From My Friends. For the turn-on-the-warm-fuzzy-feeling win. For reminding me that there is hope in friendship. For inspiring in me the will to carry on. "Are you sad because you're on your own?/ No! I get by with a little help from my friends./ Mmm! Get high with a little help from my friends. Mmm! Gonna try with a little help from my friends." I love that bit.

3. Carry That Weight. Bloody ironic that I remembered the first couple of lines of this one in the middle of my SISPEC 28km route march. I guess I'd taken it and imbued it with my own personal meaning, when it's actually a wisp of a song. Well well it captured my imagination.

4. Eleanor Rigby. Ouch this really speaks to me. "Waits at the window/ Wearing the face that she keeps in a jar by the door/ Who is it for?" It feels to me like a chilling dissection of modernity.

5. I Am The Walrus. Haha this screws your mind to eternity and back. I just refuse to visualise any of the images, but the first verse still grips my brain and refuses to let go. "I am he as you are he as you are me and we are all together." Wooaaahhh...

6. Got To Get You Into My Life. The sheer sound of those rolling syllables just never quite left my head. So I was introduced to the cover by Earth Wind and Fire first, so what? Both are great. It's sheer bloody exhilaration. I don't care if it's love or crack; "Ooh! Did I tell you I need you/ Every single day of my life?" Oh and the bass is pretty cool.

7. Yesterday. This is hard to bear. Kinda pulls at the heart.

8. Here Comes The Sun. It's a kind of wistful, nostalgic, tempered but quietly blissful optimism. The guitar's magical. "It's alright" and I'm somehow back in my childhood when (I've said this before) everything that could be right was right and would always be that way for ever and ever Amen. Lovely lovely lovely.

9. Oh! Darling. These are words that could've come right from my own heart. "Oh! Darling,/ Please believe me/ I'll never do you no harm." Awww...

10. Getting Better. A bit like Here Comes The Sun and With A Little Help, this reminds me that there's hope in the world. I can almost believe "it's getting better all the time".

11. From Me To You. See comments to (9). And if I could've dreamt it out it must've hit home.

12. Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band (and reprise). I almost feel I belong there haha. It's a brilliant atmosphere. The chords are fresh out of the shining gates of chord heaven. And the guitar's a helldemon.

13. Maxwell's Silver Hammer. I just love that li'l piece of shit.

14. Let It Be. I detest myself when I get emo, and this makes me detest myself every time. But there's got to be a reason why I keep on going back to it. It's awfully reassuring to know that "there will be an answer: let it be." It kinda reminds me of my childhood, when I got nightmares and used to creep to my parents' bed, turn on the table lamp and wake them up cos I just dreamt of a monster or something. I'd be told to say the Hail Mary and everything would somehow be all right again.

15. All You Need Is Love. This keeps on running through my mind too. It's awfully empowering, just as the feeling of love is - you can do anything, be anything, if only you love. And I'm quietly reminded of all the people I hold dear.

Yup that's what the Beatles does for me. I'm sorry if they're mostly awfully obvious choices. There's lots of the Beatles I haven't heard, or heard enough of, and it hardly does them justice. Oh well if you've got a problem with it shucks to you then ;D

Edit: I should have listed You Never Give Me Your Money/Golden Slumbers/Carry That Weight/The End (from Abbey Road) all together, since they're clearly thematically linked. And it gives me 4 songs for the price of one slot heh. And I like them all, especially Golden Slumbers. Yup.

Labels: ,

1 Comments:

Blogger a adhiyatma said...

Amen to Sgt. Pepper's. I sadly haven't heard much else. But i might start up my own favourite-songs post just to alleviate the boredom.

adam

7/05/2008 7:30 pm  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home