Sunday, October 19, 2008

fundamental realisation/cooking

I've come to a fundamental realisation on the nature of this blog. It consists of two main kinds of posts:

  1. Short enigmatic or funny thought.
  2. Long discursive ramble/rant.

or series (pl.) of (1) strung together.

-----

Being home alone, I tried cooking yesterday. Chicken piccata. Basically chicken breasts coated in flour pan-fried in butter & olive oil. It's actually pretty easy, I think, but being a noob I forgot to check the ingredients list. ><

So I needed flour, salt, pepper and grated parmesan for the coating. I didn't have parmesan, so for a different taste I decided to try Montreal steak seasoning (cos it's got salt & pepper in it, what's the harm?) and Cajun seasoning (again, what's the harm?).

And after I'd coated the chicken I had to fry it in butter and olive oil but I only had margarine (and melted margarine does NOT taste remotely like butter). Alright, fuck the butter, I thought.

The frying went relatively incident-free except I didn't add enough oil first time and had to top up (carefully, in case it spattered over my hand). Took the chicken pieces off the pan to start on the sauce. Realised I didn't have chicken stock or white wine, had to make do with half a chicken cube ^^ Then added too little flour to too much fake stock and the sauce got lumpy. Then added too much lemon. Then decided to add milk to sub for the butter. Then the milk powder got lumpy. Then the whole thing was too freaking salty and too freaking sour and too freaking lumpy. 

And then after the whole thing was done I realised I hadn't cooked the pasta. Live and learn...

You guys out there must be sniggering.

Labels:

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

at least you weren't cooking for your class, and if you do choose to, don't end up like me. ooh boy bad memories, bad memories.

melted margarine? guh.

10/19/2008 10:42 pm  
Blogger Unknown said...

didn't use margarine. left it out. melted margarine is veggie oil

10/20/2008 9:16 am  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home