Friday, April 03, 2009

children nowadays

I'm quite disturbed by kids nowadays (I mean primary school, kindergarten, that kind of age). They're awfully spoilt. They get the latest phones, tons of junky toys, their doting parents do their homework and overfeed them, that kinda thing. Just look at the kids you pass at the supermarket or on the MRT or generally around the place, they're glued to PSPs and stuff. Or the ST surveys that show primary 3 kids on the internet 15-20 hours a week, that sort of thing. (I mean, I do that, yes, but that's out of the time that the SAF's robbed off my life. And I'm not playing maplestory.)

The thing that really gets me is when parents don't raise their kids right. Like when they wonder why their kids are failing, when they're doing all their projects and homework for them. Or when they worry about their kids getting fat while they're busy feeding them. Parenting is vitally important for kids to be all that they can be, fulfil their potential and all that. I'm glad that my parents seldom interfered with my learning after primary 2 or 3, and almost never after pri 4. 

And to tell kids that it's ok to fail is all nice and politically correct, but I believe it's wrong. Parents shouldn't be satisfied with mediocrity; worse, they shouldn't let their kids be satisfied with mediocrity. If they have to suffer to get their grades and mould their minds, by all means make them suffer. 

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home