Friday, October 24, 2008

blood donation

I was persuaded to donate blood for the first time by 3 of my colleagues today, in camp. Quite a good deal - get out of work for a couple of hours, what's the harm I thought. So we were laughing about all the people who refused to come along - aiyah scared of needles lah... must be too much unsafe sex... he needs to wait 3 months more to test for HIV...

Yeah it was pretty cool stuff all the way. First there was a medical questionaire and blood pressure and hemoglobin checks, then they sat us on 4 deckchair-like thingies. The nurse rubbed a hell lot of alcohol or something on my arm for a pretty long time, then injected a local anesthetic, and then the biggie came along (eh look at the needle! why, you scared ah?) Yeah, it wasn't really scary, just kinda stomach churning, scrotum-tightening, if you know what I mean.

And then we chatted, and then slowly the chatter died out. And then my left hand started growing really cold (as the nurse commented), and then everyone was done when I was only 2/3 of the way through. And then the world started turning sparkly bright florescent yellow (eh don't look so stress leh...) and then all the voices flattened into a monotone (whoa he looks damn pale) and I blacked out for maybe a second or so.

I'm dimly conscious of them pulling out the needle, wrapping up my arm real fast, and adjusting the deckchair - putting my head down and my legs up. Took me a couple of minutes to get back to normal seeing and hearing. Long time more before everything felt normal again.

Not going back again in a hurry. I've gotta replenish my blood (and my ego!)

Labels:

2 Comments:

Blogger PrInCe [용은] said...

woah woah rayner.. yeah i've seen cases like tt b4.. woah.. back in SAJC yeah.. dun worry lar just the instantaneous loss of blood and blood pressure.. yeah.. you better alr i guess?

10/27/2008 2:28 am  
Blogger Unknown said...

haha yeah i'm fine... not dead yet =P thx!

10/27/2008 9:15 am  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home