Thursday, October 04, 2007

last day of school

yesterday was the last proper day of school, ever. notable only for the fantastic conversation adam, martin and i had over lunch. haven't had a chat like that since the old rigep days.

i started with my old chestnut about macademia being one letter away from academia, and aditi pointing out that it was actually macadAmia -.- pwned me and spoilt the joke, so much for linguistic pedantry. incidentally she's right, the nut's actually named after john macadam, some biologist i think (O.o is that mac-adam? lol son of adam)

yup we moved on from there. our conversation roughly proceeded along these lines.
martin (to me): If you and wally get to LSE the two of you should never go out on a double date. [double date: 2 girls, 2 guys. for people who can't face it alone. e.g. me.]

me: uhh why?

adam: the concentrated loserness from the 2 of you would probably cause space-time to fold on itself and collapse... the restaurant'd probably shut down... (more mutterings lost in the massive laughter)

me: (lost for words. somewhat like a goldfish.)
ok. objectively, brilliant insult. purvis was going on about the magnificence of language in antony's love for cleopatra; i could see a glimmer of the same magnificence of language there. it ranks well above the usual run-of-the-mill banter adam and i do. respect.

on the personal level: damn you, bastard...

anyway, after a few more inconsequential remarks adam had to go off and answer a call - instead of answering it at the table. so i alluded to sophie... and when he got back:
martin (to me): what's the greek word for wisdom?

me: oh i think it's... sophia... right?

martin: oh yeah.

me: that's why philo-sophia, love of -

adam: shut up.

(lol)

me (to martin): could one-

adam: (trying to drown me out) isn't the weather-

me: be said

adam: (louder) isn't the weather-

me: could one be said to be... suffering... from philo-sophie?
haha got back at adam there, thx to martin. neat. it was like a chess game with a random third player (martin) to increase the quality of gameplay. haven't had this much fun in a long time - even though lots of the fun was at my expense -.- we also had some innuendo about carrots and a reference to "drawing sweat" lol (i posted on that last week i think)

martin later commented that adam brings out the worst in me - i'm not sure if it's the worst or the best actually. 13A has made me an even worse no-life shit than i am already; i guess it's cos of the people there.

there's a tendency in many people - especially in 13A - to deride or belittle (or even be uncomfortable with) the stuff that they don't know or can't understand, not in a way that's meant for fun but in a ritualised way that alienates the people at which it's directed. presumably at one time it was funny but now it's just offensive, distancing... i guess i bear the brunt of it, david gets it too (which i sympathise with). things like elspeth's "ok, mr scientist...", or peck's "eh how come you know so much useless stuff" or wally's "okaaayy"... this kind of stuff passes as humour in 13A; as a result i'm sometimes alienated from some of my classmates. (alienated is putting it nicely) and my wit and humour has kind of taken a hammering. in 13A the personality trait i've cultivated the most is introversion - shutting up.

so, yeah, respect for people like adam and martin, i love the banter we get up to. pity my brain's so decayed though, i couldn't think of a halfway-decent comeback after the concentrated loserness gag wtf.

-----

in other news, dirk gently is on at radio 4! brilliant. heh if i ever pick up an accent in the UK (if i get there) i hope it's scottish.

watching a concert - sibelius symphs 1 & 3 - tonight with shaggy remus & wenyi. hope its good! pity zh has to mug though.

my headphones are starting to fall apart... specifically the skin over the headphones. i swear, my first pay cheque will be blown on a set of sennheiser headphones with sound to die for.

Labels:

3 Comments:

Blogger a adhiyatma said...

It's easier in my class because there is so much self-loathing everywhere.

Like, enough self-loathing to send humanity to pluto, given the right technology.

adam

10/04/2007 11:35 pm  
Blogger Unknown said...

i wish i was in your class... its got people i can actually relate to.

alternatively, i wish your class was in my class.

and yeah, i can identify with self-loathing. not sure about pluto though... the infinite self-loathing drive? lol

10/05/2007 11:40 am  
Blogger a adhiyatma said...

i said once that the key to interstellar travel would be a rocketship powered by self-loathing. I stand by that.

adam

10/05/2007 12:32 pm  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home